Sunday, May 17, 2009

The True Meaning of "Being a Fan"


Amazing as this seems being a huge fan of Boston Sports, I have a little secret. It does not matter. A friend of mine reminded me of that this evening. After the Bruins lost this week I was aggravated. And when the Celtics lost to Orlando, I was distraught. The Red Sox ups and downs tend to make my mood swing side to side...but then I realized something after reading my friend's blog. It does not matter.

In the long run, I am an avid fan; I will support the Patriots with or without a Superbowl season. I will bang on the glass for the Bruins even if it is not for the Stanley Cup and I will cheer, "Let's Go Red Sox," during a terrible road trip. What I will not do, is let it become a life altering experience. And here is a myriad of reasons why:
  • Children
  • fires
  • freedom
  • war
  • Holocaust
  • love
  • death
  • natural disasters
  • nature
  • weddings
  • dances
  • beaches
  • warm and fuzzy feelings
  • graduations
  • holidays
  • music
  • friendship
  • love
The list goes on and on. Entertainment has a price. Read the list above. Entertaining things are on that list, but can you put a price on time spent with your family? Can you advocate charging people for friendship? Yes I am a fan of the Celts, Pats, Sox and Bruins. All of them mean something to me. And in the long run, none of them matter.

1 comment: